1st round table for shipbuilders
The 1st round table “project planning for shipbuilders” took place at Croy castle in Aarle-Rixtel at Wednesday May 21st. This 1st round table was all about getting to know colleagues in the business and to share knowledge. Builders of complex naval ships, commercial ships and yachts participated to the round table.
During the round table open discussions were held on the following topics:
- Controlling projects in a matrix organization, line vs. project
- What different roles should be present in a project team?
- What is the role and responsibility of a project leader?
- What is the role and responsibility of a planner?
- Having an effective cooperation between supplier and shipyard
- The different levels of planning, what level of detail is needed to control your project?
- How to create commitment to work with a planning in your project
There were lively discussions between the participants about for example the role and responsibility of the project leader and planning. According to the director Production and Projects of a yacht shipbuilding company: “The project manager should breath every activity of the project plan".
The lively discussion showed that there is much to be learned from each other. Companies showed both their knowledge and expertise as well as their vulnerability and challenges. The director Planning and Control of an offshore shipbuilding company indicated: "We learned that it is better to hire a project planner preferably without any technical knowledge of our vessels".
The enthusiasm of the participants, the open and informal atmosphere and willingness to share knowledge and learnings gives us the energy to facilitate the next round table, which will be organized at September 16th.
So save the date!